Research Integrity: Publication Ethics
For researchers in the natural sciences who want to improve their understanding of how to publish research ethically and with integrity
7 experts in publication ethics, including a Nature Portfolio journal Chief Editor, Caltech’s Chief Research Policy Officer and an elected member of the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) Council
Free course - available to all users who register
8 hours of learning
3-module course with a course certificate
About this course
'Research Integrity: Publication Ethics' assists researchers to master the essential steps for publishing work with the highest standards of integrity.
By providing practical strategies to implement editorial policies the course serves as a toolbox, enabling researchers to navigate the whole writing and publishing process.
This free online training course supports researchers in publishing with integrity, allowing them to confidently contribute to the scientific record.
To access this course you do not need to have a subscription to Nature Masterclasses on-demand but you will need to register.
What you'll learn
- How to select a reputable journal and locate editorial policies and ethical guidance
- Maintain image and data integrity and availability
- Reuse material with appropriate permissions
- Properly cite your own work and that of others
- Avoid common authorship disputes
- Make relevant declarations about your research and publication, including conflicts of interest
- Appropriately navigate revisions
- Address post-publication issues
Preparing to publish with integrity
- Welcome to this course
- About this course
- Identify a reputable journal
- Publish with integrity
- Module summary
Publication ethics during manuscript preparation
- Publish with transparency
- Uphold image integrity
- Ensure data integrity and availability
- Reuse materials with relevant permissions
- Reuse materials appropriately
- Ensure accurate citations and avoid plagiarism
- Consider your author list
- Confirm your research declarations
- Verify your publication declarations
- Module summary
Publication ethics after submission
- Navigate manuscript revisions
- Handle post-publication issues
- Module summary
- Course summary
Developed with research integrity and publishing experts
This course benefits from the insights of experts with a wide range of experience in publication ethics and promoting integrity in research and publication.
Meet the expert panel that have helped shape and refine the content of the course:
Advice from additional experts in research integrity
The course has additional insights through video interviews from:
Discover related courses
Access to courses is by subscription via your lab, department or institution
Already have access?
Register or log in to access a course.
Find out here.
Subscriptions are not available to individual users
You can, however:
For institutions, departments and labs
Find out which of our subscription plans best suits your needs
Does my institution provide full course access?
When registering, you’ll be asked to select your institution first. If your institution is listed, it has subscribed and provides full access to our on-demand courses catalogue.
My institution isn’t listed!
Select „other“ and register with an individual account. This allows you to access all our free sample course modules, and our entirely free course on peer review.
You might also want to recommend our courses to your institution.
I am in charge of purchasing training materials for our lab / department / institution.