Nature Masterclasses online training
1. Getting Access
3. Additional Services
1. Getting Access
1.1.1 What’s included in a subscription?
12 months of access to:
- An online course in scientific writing and publishing (15 modules, approximately 15 hours learning)
- Comprehensive coverage of the entire publishing process, from writing a paper to publication
- Delivered by 36 editors from over 20 Nature journals
- Designed for busy researchers with bite-size videos and activities that are ideal for a spare 5 minutes in the lab
- "Ask our Editors": An opportunity for researchers to put their questions to Nature journal editors
Add to your subscription at any time by opting for:
- Webinars: 90-minute webinars for up to 100 researchers at an institution. Learn more here.
- Face-to-face workshops: one- to three-day workshops held on-site at institutions for approximately 25 researchers. Learn more here.
1.1.2 Who can subscribe?
Subscriptions are available to departments and institutions*.
- Departmental/lab subscriptions: Departments and labs can purchase a group subscription for up to 15 individuals. Request a quote.
- Institutional subscriptions: Institutions can purchase an institution-wide subscription by IP range. Request a quote.
*Subscriptions to the online course are not currently available in China (we are investigating ways to improve our website performance in China). However our workshops are available in China. Contact us if you’re in China and interested in training.
*Individual subscriptions are not currently available. Contact us to recommend your institution or department for a subscription, or if you’d like to be notified when individual subscriptions become available.
1.1.3 How much does a subscription cost?
1.1.4 What Nature Masterclasses does not offer
Please note that accessing Nature Masterclasses and completing the training in no way implies that any article written by delegates will be selected for peer review or accepted by a Springer Nature publication or any other publication.
1.2 Free Registrations
1.2.1 What do I get if I register for free to the website?
By registering, you get access to:
- The Free Sample Course, containing a selection of videos and activities from our Scientific Writing and Publishing Course
- "Ask our Editors": put your publishing questions straight to Nature journal editors
- The Blog, including "Free Resources" and "Our Editors"
You can also share and comment on videos and posts, and “up-vote” your favourites.
Please note, the free registration does not grant access to the Scientific Writing and Publishing Course. For access to the course, please contact us about becoming a subscriber.
2.1.1 My institution subscribes but I cannot access the online course.
If you are signed in via your Nature Masterclasses account: Remember because your course access is tied to your institution's subscription, you must always use your institution's internet or wifi, or access their network remotely. If you are not doing this, your course access will not work.
If you have followed the advice above but continue to have access issues, please contact us using this enquiry form - picking "Nature Masterclasses" as the "Topic".
If you wish to sign in via your institution (via their single sign-on page): We can now offer single sign-on access to institutions that subscribe to Nature Masterclasses. If your institution has single sign-on access: please visit this page, search for your institution, and sign in using normal institutional login. You'll then be redirected back to Nature Masterclasses with access to the course.
Institutions that already subscribe are welcome to contact us and request single sign-on access. We use Shibboleth to offer single sign-on access, also called Federated Authentication (SAML).
2.1.2 I can sign in but cannot access the online course. I don't think my institution subscribes.
If your institution does not subscribe, even if you register on the website, you will not have access to the online course in scientific writing and publishing. Your institution or department must have an active subscription to the course, in order for you to gain access. You may wish to ask an administrator in your institution to contact us, or contact us directly to recommend your institution.
2.1.3 I cannot sign in – what can I do?
If you have forgotten your password, reset it here.
When attempting to sign in, make sure you use the same email address that you signed up with.
2.1.4 How can I change my password?
- Visit your “Account Settings” here. Note you’ll need to be signed in first
- Click “Password”
- Enter your current password and the new password you’d like, and hit “Save Changes”
2.1.5 How can I unsubscribe from emails?
- Visit your "Email Preferences" (located in your “Account Settings”). Note you’ll need to be signed in first
- Untick the emails you no longer want to receive.
2.2.1 What browser should I use?
Nature Masterclasses should operate on all common browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera. If you are using Internet Explorer, however, it must be version IE9 or later to function correctly. For best results when watching videos please ensure a minimum broadband speed of 5Mbps.
2.2.2 If I have technical issues, what can I do?
Please contact us using this enquiry form - picking "Nature Masterclasses" as the "Topic". Please note that some issues will not be resolvable by Nature Masterclasses as they may be caused by your device, ISP, connection speed or another factor.
2.2.3 Can I access Nature Masterclasses online training on my tablet or phone?
3. Additional Services
3.1 Workshops & webinars
Nature Research Editing Service provides two types of editing:
- Expert editing and guidance from Nature-standard editors who know what it takes to publish in top journals
- Available for research papers, reviews and grant applications, within the natural sciences
- High-quality English language editing by native English speaking editors with subject expertise
- Available for all text types in all subject areas - from biology to humanities
Contact us about Nature Research Editing Service - including adding it to a Nature Masterclasses subscription.
Additional editing service providers exist, including American Journal Experts.