Getting an Academic Research Position
For researchers in the natural sciences seeking to take their next career step, either as a new postdoc or in a new faculty role
11 experts in research career development, including experienced academic researchers, Nature Portfolio journal Editors, and coaching and careers specialists
9.5 hours of learning
10-30-minute bite-sized lessons
4-module course with certificate
About this course
‘Getting an Academic Research Position’ will show researchers how to get an academic research position that suits them perfectly. It will teach them the skills to find, select and apply to suitable roles, send tailored applications, and impress potential employers at the interview.
What you’ll learn
- How to find potential career opportunities that align with your personal attributes, desires and goals
- How to apply for positions in a way that will highlight your strongest attributes and most relevant qualities
- How to present yourself authentically and effectively during all stages of the interview process, giving you the best possible chance of success
- How to assess whether a job you are offered is suitable and choose between competing job offers
Developed with expert academics and professionals
This course has been created with an international team of experts with a wide range of experience, including:
- An international team of researchers with experience hiring for academic positions
- Nature Portfolio journal Editors with extensive expertise in career development
- Professionals with backgrounds in continued professional development, researcher coaching, and mentorship and graduate career services
Advice from experienced researchers
The course also has additional insights through interviews from:
Discover related courses
Access to courses is by subscription via your lab, department or institution
Already have access?
Register or log in to access a course.
Find out here.
Subscriptions are not available to individual users
You can, however:
For institutions, departments and labs
Find out which of our subscription plans best suits your needs
Does my institution provide full course access?
When registering, you’ll be asked to select your institution first. If your institution is listed, it has subscribed and provides full access to our on-demand courses catalogue.
My institution isn’t listed!
Select „other“ and register with an individual account. This allows you to access all our free sample course modules, and our entirely free course on peer review.
You might also want to recommend our courses to your institution.
I am in charge of purchasing training materials for our lab / department / institution.