Experiments: From Idea to Design
For researchers in the natural sciences who want to develop their experimental design skills
9 experts in experimental design, including experienced researchers and Nature Portfolio journal Editors
8.5 hours of learning
10-30-minute bite-sized lessons
4-module course with certificate
About this course
‘Experiments: From Idea to Design’ equips you with the right tools to help develop, plan and refine robust, impactful experiments. You will cover all the core concepts of experimental design and discover strategies to complete the full process of developing a research motivation, formulating hypotheses, assembling an experimental plan and utilising it.
What you’ll learn
- The benefits of honing your experimental design skills before embarking on full-scale experiments
- How to develop research motivations, identify assumptions and formulate hypotheses
- How to select the precise methods, tools, techniques and protocols you need to answer your research question
- How to refine and make use of your experimental design
Developed with expert academics and professionals
This course has been created with an international team of experts with a wide range of experience, including:
- Researchers with backgrounds in various disciplines such as plant biology and synthetic chemistry
- An expert on the theory of the scientific method
- Nature Portfolio journal Editors with extensive experience evaluating new methodologies and protocols
Advice from experienced researchers
The course also has additional insights through interviews from:
Discover related courses
Learn how to manage your research data with this four-module course.
Access to courses is by subscription via your lab, department or institution
Already have access?
Register or log in to access a course.
Find out here.
Subscriptions are not available to individual users
You can, however:
For institutions, departments and labs
Find out which of our subscription plans best suits your needs
Does my institution provide full course access?
When registering, you’ll be asked to select your institution first. If your institution is listed, it has subscribed and provides full access to our on-demand courses catalogue.
My institution isn’t listed!
Select „other“ and register with an individual account. This allows you to access all our free sample course modules, and our entirely free course on peer review.
You might also want to recommend our courses to your institution.
I am in charge of purchasing training materials for our lab / department / institution.